Performs specialized work by assisting school teachers in instructing and supervising the activities of students to provide a well-organized, smoothly functioning classroom environment. The position is responsible for assisting assigned teachers in preparing instructional materials, preparing classrooms for activities, supervising and assisting children in the classroom and in other areas of the school, reinforcing classroom lessons, and providing other assistance as requested; incumbents may be responsible for providing assistance to special needs students or coordinating special projects and programs as assigned. The position works under direct supervision according to set procedures.
1. Provides assistance to assigned teachers in maintaining a well-organized, smoothly functioning classroom for the benefit of both teachers and students.
2. Assists students with exercises and class activities; concentrates efforts with small groups of students and individuals as necessary.
3. Compiles, prepares and organizes materials and classroom for instruction and classroom activities.
4. Assists in cleaning and storing of materials after completion of activities.
5. Reinforces all knowledge and skills taught by the classroom teacher.
6. Assists teacher by maintaining student records, recording daily attendance, grading assignments, administering standardized tests, recording and/or analyzing test scores/grades, substituting as needed, setting up special projects, escorting children to other areas of the school, monitoring student behavior, running errands.
7. Collects and receipts monies for monthly activity fees, school fees, school pictures, and/or meal fees.
8. Supervises and assists students when unloading and loading buses, in the halls, on field trips, during testing, during lunch, during computer lab, and on school grounds.
9. May assist students with special needs and/or in need of special attention; provides assistance with daily living routines, skills and concepts including personal hygiene, toileting, dressing, self-feeding; may assist with physical health programs including physical therapy and adjusting special/adaptive equipment for student use; lifts or assists students in and out of special needs equipment as necessary.
10. Assists in establishing and implementing behavioral objectives. Models appropriate social and play skills; observes students' behavior and notifies teacher and/or school nurse of behavioral changes as appropriate; redirects behavior if possible; may work with individual students to help them adjust behaviorally and academically into mainstream classroom and social situations.
11. May coordinate and/or participate in special programs or projects as assigned.
12. Receives and responds to inquiries from parents and others; assists in preparing notes and placing phone calls to parents as necessary. 13. Attends staff meetings as required; participates in in-service training programs; keeps abreast of developments in areas of assignment. 14. Performs routine clerical tasks as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and records, copying and filing documents, entering and retrieving computer data, preparing notices and newsletters, receiving and responding to e-mails.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate's Degree, or two (2) years of college (minimum of 48 semester hours) from an, or a passing score on the ParaPro Assessment Test and one (1) year of experience working with children in an educational setting preferred. Must possess or be able to obtain certification in CPR and First Aid.
Basic knowledge of child growth and development, instructional procedures and practices applicable to assignment, instructional goals and policies of the District; knowledge of subject matter reinforcement practices of the classes to which assigned; ability to implement teachers' instructional plans in assigned field; ability to work effectively with children, young adults, and faculty members; ability to assist with the implementation of an instructional program and to participate in monitoring and ensuring appropriate student behavior; ability to follow written and oral instructions and to perform all required task; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.