1. Provides assistance to assigned teachers in maintaining a well-organized, smoothly functioning classroom for the benefit of both teachers and students.
2. Assists students with exercises and class activities; concentrates efforts with small groups of students and individuals as necessary.
3. Compiles, prepares and organizes materials and classroom for instruction and classroom activities.
4. Assists in cleaning and storing of materials after completion of activities.
5. Reinforces all knowledge and skills taught by the classroom teacher.
6. Assists teacher by maintaining student records, recording daily attendance, grading assignments, administering standardized tests, recording and/or analyzing test scores/grades, substituting as needed, setting up special projects, escorting children to other areas of the school, monitoring student behavior, running errands.
7. Collects and receipts monies for monthly activity fees, school fees, school pictures, and/or meal fees.
8. Supervises and assists students when unloading and loading buses, in the halls, on field trips, during testing, during lunch, during computer lab, and on school grounds.
9. May assist students with special needs and/or in need of special attention; provides assistance with daily living routines, skills and concepts including personal hygiene, toileting, dressing, self-feeding; may assist with physical health programs including physical therapy and adjusting special/adaptive equipment for student use; lifts or assists students in and out of special needs equipment as necessary.
10. Assists in establishing and implementing behavioral objectives. Models appropriate social and play skills; observes students' behavior and notifies teacher and/or school nurse of behavioral changes as appropriate; redirects behavior if possible; may work with individual students to help them adjust behaviorally and academically into mainstream classroom and social situations.
11. May coordinate and/or participate in special programs or projects as assigned.
12. Receives and responds to inquiries from parents and others; assists in preparing notes and placing phone calls to parents as necessary.
13. Attends staff meetings as required; participates in in-service training programs; keeps abreast of developments in areas of assignment.
14. Performs routine clerical tasks as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and records, copying and filing documents, entering and retrieving computer data, preparing notices and newsletters, receiving and responding to e-mails.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.